Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How to integrate ZAuto trunk OBDII bypass with AEM X-Series OBDII Wideband AFR Controller Gauge

PaVaSteeler

Mole
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
State
VA
Country
United States
Any ideas?

I currently have installed the ZAuto trunk bypass (2019 Challenger 1320) which I've used successfully data logging and loading tune updates.

I need to install AFR gauge, which I purchased from HP Tuners https://www.hptuners.com/product/aem-x-series-obdii-wideband-afr-controller-gauge/ to log, you know, AFR at the request of my tuner.

This requires a OBDII "interface" attached to ZAuto bypass OBDII connector; this interface also plugs into back of gauge....which doesn't do me much good having a gauge in the trunk, does it? Two plugs go into the back of the gauge itself; one, from the sensor itself, and the other from the interface (which also carries the power for the gauge.

I can run the sensor cable to the cabin, (plug #1), but the interface needs to connect to the trunk bypass. Plug two (power & OBD interface) isn't long enough to go from trunk to gauge in cabin, and I'm very hesitant to try and splice extensions into both sets of connectors. The power leads can be extended with ease, but I'm concerned over voltage drops basically tripling or quadrupling the length of wire run trying to run from trunk to dash.

Has anyone combined the trunk bypass with gauge sensor?

I do have the HP Smart cable, which needs to be plugged into security module behind head unit to allow the cabin OBDII port to be used by the MPVI2 Pro that I have....may switch to that instead, but was hoping someone had solved this riddle so I'm not running with two bypasses (yea, I know I can then remove the ZAuto bypass, but I've never had a problem with it but have read of some issues with the HP bypass).

Blown7

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Woodstock
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Trackhawk
Usually you can only have one command module other OBD connector at a time as signals get messed up. Basically what happens is a command module "asks" the PCM for various outputs ( like O2 signals) and the command module "decodes" the Hex voltage to a real signal.
If you try to run two different command modules at the same time signals get messed up and nothing gets recorded correctly.

Wizza

Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Stafford
State
VA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat
agree with @Blown7 on the one plug at a time.....had the ZA Burnbox already and added the TMobile 4G UConnect plug for remote services and can only run one at a time. With the bypass and splitter cable it does NOT power up both.