Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Good price for 2016 C7 Corvette?

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
My older brother is contemplating buying a LT2 C7 Corvette. It’s fairly loaded, has targa top, remote start, no Nav though. 6.2 with 455hp and it only has 3K miles!!! He’s sorta committed to getting this since he’s paying to have it shipped from Florida so he can see it (CarMax). They are asking $43,900 for it.....seems like a decent deal to me, but I’ve never dealt with Corvettes. Decent deal or not really?

Slipaway16

Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bartle Skeet
State
Non-US
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Trackhawk
Edit- car in the link sold. Removed.

Last edited:

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Surprised Slowpoke has not chimed in oh that’s right he’s a slllloooooowwwww ppppppooooookkkkkkeeee:geek: @Slowpoke387

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Yes seems ok but it’s not a steal. Average trade is 36-38k for this car and he’s buying it a better market than north market. Meaning Corvettes are year round purchased down there not so much up north and this is the Coupe time of year that dealers make their money on.
Thanks! Never said it was a steal, but it seems like a decent deal. I told him to offer around 42K even...then my brother tells me they won't deal at Carmax..whatever they ask is all they'll take. I told him I think that only applies to new cars, not used cars.

-I bet they gave the poor guy peanuts for the car when it was traded in...more like on the lower range of the estimate you posted if not lower. Hard to find one with this low of mileage though. I'm guessing it only came out of the garage on the nicest of days.

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
He wouldn't buy anything like that! He's not...to be nice..."mechanically inclined" at all. He doesn't even change his own oil that I know of. I did tell him I would ask for a couple grand off, and if they don't go for that, then at least ask them if they could include a two year warranty with the car. Yeah, it won't be a GM warranty, but at least it's something. I don't like the Carmax 90 day or 8K mile warranty at all for a car like this!! And of course, there's no factory warranty left since its a '16....

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks! Never said it was a steal, but it seems like a decent deal. I told him to offer around 42K even...then my brother tells me they won't deal at Carmax..whatever they ask is all they'll take. I told him I think that only applies to new cars, not used cars.

-I bet they gave the poor guy peanuts for the car when it was traded in...more like on the lower range of the estimate you posted if not lower. Hard to find one with this low of mileage though. I'm guessing it only came out of the garage on the nicest of days.
I think for the low mileage its a good move and at the end of the day is a grand or 2 really going to break the bank on negotiation?

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
I think for the low mileage its a good move and at the end of the day is a grand or 2 really going to break the bank on negotiation?
I agree totally! I'd use it to try and get an extended warranty if nothing else. I know they need to make their money too as these "quick flips" the dealers do seem to be at least 5K profit if not more....I assume they'll be a lot of C7's selling this summer...people will be trading in for C8's. But again, I doubt they'll be many C7's with 3K miles being traded...

EricG

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Albuquerque
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 Hellcat Redeye
I would continue to look around as I actually think there are plenty of barely used Corvettes for sale, with more coming available with the C8s arriving. Just my opinion of course...

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
Sounds reasonable. I know Car Gurus "Great, Fair, or overpriced" deals is set to that particular region. I've seen equal cars selling at vastly different prices based on location.

MiHiHemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Parker
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger SRT 426

Yep, that's Carmax. Take it or leave it pricing. I wouldn't give more than $40K.

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
Just to update:

Turns out my brother just bought a Corvette today! He says its been his "dream car" forever...so I get it. He ended up buying a 2019 1LT with the Z51 Stingray package. Although he did trade in his 2016 Challenger SXT w/45K miles on it too. [facepalm]

At least he got KBB book value on it...he took great care of it and it was in great shape, exterior was perfect still and interior was flawless..he has OCD and takes good care of his cars.

-So in the end, he ended up paying a few grand more for the new Corvette than he was going to spend on the used '16 Vette, and at least since this is a new car so it has the full factory warranty plus he bought an extended warranty with it also for the price.

EDIT: and turns out he didn't get it from Carmax...it was at a normal dealer..

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Just to update:

Lol this suggests that Carmax is an abnormal dealer :LOL:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Not even sure if someone paid you to take a vette it would be a good price

coolblue

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Long Island
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I agree with the premise of buying a real creampuff for a few grand more (at this level of car). I mean, 3k! If it's a clean Carfax all down the line, a C7 is a lotta' car for that money, even if you could do better at 7, 12 or 20k miles. But @EricG did make a valid point. A lot will be hitting the market with the new C8 out and good deals will abound. There are 2 questions to ask: How clean/mint of a used 'vette do you want? and How long are you willing to wait?

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
I agree with the premise of buying a real creampuff for a few grand more (at this level of car). I mean, 3k! If it's a clean Carfax all down the line, a C7 is a lotta' car for that money, even if you could do better at 7, 12 or 20k miles. But @EricG did make a valid point. A lot will be hitting the market with the new C8 out and good deals will abound. There are 2 questions to ask: How clean/mint of a used 'vette do you want? and How long are you willing to wait?
He bought a brand new never owned by anyone 2019 Corvette....

I‘m certain they’ll be a lot of people with older low milage ones trading in theirs to get the new C8....

OP
Confuzed1

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
Lol this suggests that Carmax is an abnormal dealer :LOL:
Good point. They're a car dealership that doesn't deal at all. May as well call it a car mall, or a car store IMO.

Last edited:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Just to update:

Turns out my brother just bought a Corvette today! He says its been his "dream car" forever...so I get it. He ended up buying a 2019 1LT with the Z51 Stingray package. Although he did trade in his 2016 Challenger SXT w/45K miles on it too. [facepalm]

At least he got KBB book value on it...he took great care of it and it was in great shape, exterior was perfect still and interior was flawless..he has OCD and takes good care of his cars.

-So in the end, he ended up paying a few grand more for the new Corvette than he was going to spend on the used '16 Vette, and at least since this is a new car so it has the full factory warranty plus he bought an extended warranty with it also for the price.

What are these NORMAL dealers you speak of???:unsure::unsure::unsure:

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Don't look for that huge glut of used vettes...there aren't going to be many C8's out there this summer