Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

E85 oil analysis

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
I've heard some say running E85 requires more frequent oil changes....what are you guys doing?

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
That's what they say.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
It's Friday night:unsure:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Maybe urban legend like so many other things or maybe some of the 1st people that used it had loose engines? I have been changing my oil once a year or roughly 10k miles for nearly 10 years now on my summer car. I bought enough oil to do 2 changes this year based on I don't about this whole e85 oil thing. I'm thinking on still changing it around 5k and sending it in and see what comes of it. If I'm not seeing anything odd then go back to once next year

I will be changing my oil this weekend so I will collect some so I can send it in. It has almost 9k on it

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Maybe urban legend like so many other things or maybe some of the 1st people that used it had loose engines? I have been changing my oil once a year or roughly 10k miles for nearly 10 years now on my summer car. I bought enough oil to do 2 changes this year based on I don't about this whole e85 oil thing. I'm thinking on still changing it around 5k and sending it in and see what comes of it. If I'm not seeing anything odd then go back to once next year

I will be changing my oil this weekend so I will collect some so I can send it in. It has almost 9k on it
Also has sat for the winter. So will be curious to see for sure!!

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Obviously it's because you use the Euro-trash Pennzoil instead of the SRT P.U.P.

:unsure:

:ROFLMAO:

;)

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Just for comparison...

(IGNORE the comment about "dropping the pan", I don't do that, they misinterpreted my comments about the oil change process I do.

Attachments

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
I remember a video from awhile back where you and mike were on a call and he said to just run leaded fuel and now worry about it.
Doesn’t seem like that’s case.
when you changed cats and O2 sensors was there anything visible from the lead?

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Just curious what does an oil analysis cost through Blacksone?

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Thanks @vortecd 👍

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #12
I remember a video from awhile back where you and mike were on a call and he said to just run leaded fuel and now worry about it.
Doesn’t seem like that’s case.
when you changed cats and O2 sensors was there anything visible from the lead?
What's interesting is some people never have issues. Crew Chief Greg runs Renegade K16 exclusively at the track and has for years. He's never had a problem. He did remove his cats a long time ago but his O2s are original I believe on his 2009. Mike's shop Cat ran Q16 exclusively with cats and O2s as a test to see what would happen over time. Last I heard it hadn't had any issues either. Mine would pop the code, I'd clear it, and never have it again until I ran the fuel again. Odd really but I've since moved on to E85 and it's glorious :)

@Smitty the actual analysis is like $40

@BULL so from yours it would appear the break in copper/iron are a thing since yours has so few miles on it and so few on the oil itself. I mainly did this check to make sure my once a year OCI was G2G on E85 and it is no problem. I've had a couple people comment on the video that their older F150 or Ram FFV had comments on shorter OCI when running E85 similar to the towing OCI. I checked a 2016 Caravan, 2019 F150, and 2018 Silverado in my research and none mentioned anything other than Ford calling out to run a tank of gasoline every oil change. Not sure what that would even do over a 5-7K mile OCI though. I'm personally gonna run 1/2 tank of 93 every month just because.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
The thing that has driven my crazy change intervals has been that I change oil based on the following starting from new:

At 500 and then 1500 total miles
Then after any "racing" event, or 6 months, or 3000 miles, not that I ever get that far in this vehicle inside of 6 months.

There's a handful of changes that have fallen off the end of the report too.

This last interval, I let it go out to a year because I forced myself to. So few miles, no "events", and so many changes behind it.

Last year or two has been rough, and sad for actually driving the car.

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #14
Curious why you worry about the oil after racing events? I've heard of others doing oil changes after a day at the track, and had friends do the same back when I used to take my sport bike to a road course. I never saw any difference in oil analysis report findings either way. Have you seen something?

I went to 1 year oil changes ages ago after doing oil analysis on several cars. Back when I drove more if I hit 10K miles I'd change it then as well if less than a year, but that was a very rare occurrence. On the Hellcat I'd probably pick 5K intervals if I drove more.

When I first went to 1 year on the 4Runner all the internet engineers told me the motor would be coked up with oil deposits in short order. Here it is 20 years later and that never happened.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
My mentality is that if I've put 75-100 passes on the engine at the Standing Mile, that's a lot of blow-by and particulates that I want out of the crankcase.

While I haven't seen it in the reports, I have seen dramatically increased oil in the catch can.

(Or maybe I just like changing the oil in my baby, call it a sickness)

By perspective, for the PW and the DSRT, I do 3K regardless and call it good.

In other news, I've collected 50 gallons of lightly used P.U.P. that I'll let go for cheap...

; )

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #16
Ah, I always think about 1/4 mile when someone says track. Standing mile is a lot different and wow 100 runs. When I used to pit crew at the TX Mile we were lucky to get 4-6 over the weekend.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Ah, I always think about 1/4 mile when someone says track. Standing mile is a lot different and wow 100 runs. When I used to pit crew at the TX Mile we were lucky to get 4-6 over the weekend.

That the very reason that the guys from Texas were coming up here, there were 150 cars max, and many only made the early morning runs and then either stopped for the day or even went home all the way to Texas!!!

There were times in each of the three years I ran it that you could literally hot-lap if you wanted to, and I did until I learned the lesson of hot brakes and nearly ate the end of the track. I also ran three days, instead of two. Friday was especially nice.

I was also always first or second in line.

20180908_092036.jpg

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
HFCOTM
View Images
Besides the AWESOME picture of my car, check out the paddock area in the background.... ...sparse...

OP
Speedy!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Thread Starter #19
Yeah way different than TX Mile, it was a circus. Fun as a spectator, but for people running a car not so much. Get to the track before sun up to get the car in the lanes, push, push, push. Wait. Some hot shot gets to go in front of everybody else because they're some speed shop. Wait some more.

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
[QUOTE="Speedy!, post: 243152, member: 1070". I'm personally gonna run 1/2 tank of 93 every month just because.[/QUOTE]

Put a Micro Glass filter in after your pumps and there really is no reason to flush with gasoline that often. If your paranoid of E85 use the Lucas E85 stabilizer with each fill up. I’ve heard from guys that have been running corn for years, they use the Lucas Stabilizer and keep corn in their tanks year round even through winter storage, I use it as well. Me, I’ll probably never go back to gasoline again. I have my oil analyzed by Blackstone every oil change, even with my other vehicles from time to time, no fuel related issues oil wise.