Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Drove a C8 Corvette today to buy one and damn so disappointed😳

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
19 Challenger Hellcat Redeye 19 Charger Hellcat

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
it's a chevy would did you expect:unsure:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The steering wheel is goofy being flat on top and the blinking speedo on the dash reminds me of leaving a turn signal on:LOL:
Did I mention it is ugly too. Also fun when you have to have a coarse on how to get things to work:rolleyes:

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Tell him to call you when he has a ZR1 and see if you still believe it is a wuss. I was expecting you to say you owned a bad ass Hellcat and that was why it sounded like nothing.

Hayabusa

HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lunatic Fringe
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
'19 WB Redeye, Sublime
Wow CC, a heartbreaker. I've got a bit of your sickness but do 1 fun car at a time (although at one point I had 5 bikes: 1098R, Busa, MV Agusta Brutale, CVO V-Rod, Stage 4 Yamaha Warrior).

Over time I've owned 4 Vettes and all were a hoot to drive. Switched over to Vipers and never went back. Had a 2018 F Type R that I loved for the reasons you state but sold it to get my Redeye.

So sad to hear your results but glad you drove it and appreciate your vid. Your daughter did the best summary I've heard in a while, tell her I said "much respect".

I was starting to eyeball the C8 but would have the same disappointment as you. Sounds like it is missing that "visceral" quality we as Mopar fiends must have to enjoy a street ride. As DGatsby said...ZR1

Sooooo...how do you compare the GT500 to the Redeye...Ice Age comparison video please and would like to hear your daughter chime in regarding the 392 also.

Thanks for the post & the 411.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
@Hayabusa Thanks for watching and the gentleman in the video at the end who showed me more about the car is actually a car racer. And he also owns a rental race track company as well. Meaning he rents out high performance factory cars like the C8, Supra, GT500 etc. he claims the least re use rental is the C8. He says people will rent it once but not twice. The GT500 destroys tires and is hard to justify renting being he has to buy all new tires all the time. People love the Supra fun factor and lesser to rent.
As far as a ZR51 and or even a Z06 yes I am sure it will be awesome but huge monies and can’t even get one anytime soon. Chevy should have made a fun factor C8 which IMO they did not.

Oh putting me on the Spot in the Hellcat Forum😳
Damn wish I could say the RE was the better of the fun factor to the GT500. But for me the GT500
Is just such a fun car that gives you a true race ready feel and ride. The Rev Matching and exhaust IMO just are truly a blast. The back road connection is just like my old Z06 corvettes with incredible confidence. Sadly the GT500 ruined my Hellcats fun factor. Yes is the RE bad ass yes and bad ass looks yes . But the GT500 just is a whole different vehicle and really can’t compare being it’s so road course built like Carroll Shelby wanted it to be. As far as the Gold Rush 392 my daughter loves it but as time has progressed she actually would take the Bullitt Mustang for the fun factor over the Gold Rush. And for the record due to huge financial losses from the pandemic I had but no choice to get rid of a lot of nice cars last summer. I didn’t think I would see my business come back to life and thank god it did. And I bought back my GT500 which in all my years I have never ever purchased a car back. And here is video and if you saw it before sorry don’t watch it.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
We all have cars we buy for looks, brand, or how they drive and being we all are different we pick different cars. After owning mustangs for 24 years from an 87 and a few more fox bodies and a 01 and a 13 which are all different, to me our 17 Daytona was a better car. So much so I sold my 13 which was a fuel system away from being a 9 second car (I already had the fuel system to install) and we got the Challenger so I could have the Daytona. I knew I wanted a Hellcat and once my lease was up I bought one.

For me there isn't another car I want more then what I have. I think some is because I'm a Mopar guy and always have been. If Dodge would have had a rear wheel drive car in the 80's and 90's (I know Viper but was out of my price range) I never would have owned a mustang. I owned some older Mopars but I needed something I could drive everyday that wasn't an old muscle car. Some like to play with all brands but when you are in a good place there is no reason to look further.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
We all have cars we buy for looks, brand, or how they drive and being we all are different we pick different cars. After owning mustangs for 24 years from an 87 and a few more fox bodies and a 01 and a 13 which are all different, to me our 17 Daytona was a better car. So much so I sold my 13 which was a fuel system away from being a 9 second car (I already had the fuel system to install) and we got the Challenger so I could have the Daytona. I knew I wanted a Hellcat and once my lease was up I bought one.

For me there isn't another car I want more then what I have. I think some is because I'm a Mopar guy and always have been. If Dodge would have had a rear wheel drive car in the 80's and 90's (I know Viper but was out of my price range) I never would have owned a mustang. I owned some older Mopars but I needed something I could drive everyday that wasn't an old muscle car. Some like to play with all brands but when you are in a good place there is no reason to look further.
Good points and for sure the Dodge is the better everyday driver and more practical over the road car. That’s why I have always owned Chargers being they are so practical but at the same time bad ass fast. Mustang are not the over the road car as many will argue and if I had to have just a few cars or one the Charger would be my vehicle.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
The C8 is nice but it dies nit have the kick you in the ass blast. She is a light car but the torque ain’t there to over impress. I have been spoiled owning the Red Eye and my GT500 which the C8 just doesn’t have that bad ass feel. The Hellcats blow it away in exhaust hires as well just so you know.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
PCP bought a lime green C8 6 months ago. Ugly as a mud duck. They wouldn't sport a lime green C8. I had the pleasure yesterday to be driving next to a Lambo lime green with paper tags on her. The car was ugly as my ribs are. It sounded good, looked great and my, our friend from the IRB had no concept of the sale. These $250,000 plus cars are close knit sales. A bright green Lambo?? Last one on the lot?? The car looked great except the paint. Our buddies from IRB has ordered a silver /gray one. June delivery. 1.5 years after the down payment. I read the ZO6 is 4 years out.

jonx96

4000 Posts Club
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Small town
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye
Gt500 is a fun car. I’m still wanting to drive one.
but when I thought about buying one I went to the gt500 forums it was a lot of people missing their redeye or hellcat and a lot of people who likes the gt500 better. The best summary over their was if you want the muscle car pure power feel the hellcat route is the way to go. The more refined feel go gt500.
I like the pure power feel. @Hayabusa thats why I currently have a hayabusa for my bike. I daily that more than the hellcat 😂

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Next door neighbor has a new Rousch Mustang and is very happy with it. After talkin to me, wife hates me, having it tuned, new pully, new inter cooler. God for bid he didn't get any ideas from me.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
I knew it... it was inevitable.. after years and years of buying new Fords every other day.. that new car smell of all those Fords made his brain go soft....he's resilient he'll recover..till a ZO6 toasts his GT 500..so bad his mirrors will spin..and he'll think he dropped a cylindero_Oo_O

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
I knew it... it was inevitable.. after years and years of buying new Fords every other day.. that new car smell of all those Fords made his brain go soft....he's resilient he'll recover..till a ZO6 toasts his GT 500..so bad his mirrors will spin..and he'll think he dropped a cylindero_Oo_O
Nah not so much I started off with many Corvettes and to this day still love Corvettes. But damn I only wish my experience today was more exciting being the video would be of me buying a really nice C8. Low miles and a deal in todays market and just blown away no real fun factor. You can barely here the motor behind you, no deep exhaust note or noise. I mean hell my Charger 4 door radiated more exhaust note than the C8. No kick in the ass snap your neck when I nailed her and the video does not show what I really did. I am not that stupid to post on a public video the speeds I hit. The reason that BMW ran off the road is the girl driving it was 1/4 mile up the way getting it when I passed her at huge speeds. And that’s why you see her go by me again I pissed her off and I let her go. Summing it up it is not a trash the C8 video and if you see the excitement my daughter and I had going to drive her that should be the message. But instead walked away just really bummed she didn’t have more in her.

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Nah not so much I started off with many Corvettes and to this day still love Corvettes. But damn I only wish my experience today was more exciting being the video would be of me buying a really nice C8. Low miles and a deal in todays market and just blown away no real fun factor. You can barely here the motor behind you, no deep exhaust note or noise. I mean hell my Charger 4 door radiated more exhaust note than the C8. No kick in the ass snap your neck when I nailed her and the video does not show what I really did. I am not that stupid to post on a public video the speeds I hit. The reason that BMW ran off the road is the girl driving it was 1/4 mile up the way getting it when I passed her at huge speeds. And that’s why you see her go by me again I pissed her off and I let her go. Summing it up it is not a trash the C8 video and if you see the excitement my daughter and I had going to drive her that should be the message. But instead walked away just really bummed she didn’t have more in her.
I find my wife's C8 disconcertingly quiet....I cannot hear the engine in touring mode..and with magnetic ride control..ride integrity rivals a luxury car..totaly master launch control the car will hook..and get with the program..and humble corvettes that came before them..all in all..not bad for less than 500hp..but would never give up my challengers for one..now her ZO6 that she's waiting on..will be a much different story..

MurderCat

Member ID
Reactions
City
Rochester
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
Whipple Hellcat (Sold) 22 GMC 2500HD Denali
Just wait for the new Z06 or ZR1 which is rumored to be 1000HP TT. The regular C8 is a very boring ride IMO. More of a Grandpa's touring car.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Next time. Better. Could be worse,, could have broken ribs and a hole in the back of your head. But I was a vette man before to tuning my own car. I was told 4 to 5 years on the ZO6. But I started with a Z28, tuned CAI, and tuning. Then moved on to both vetts for tuning and other accessories to bust tee ahhs to where I was comfy to tuning. Not a pro at it but do know my way around it.

OP
ChargerChallenger

ChargerChallenger

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Mopar Nation
State
MD
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
I find my wife's C8 disconcertingly quiet....I cannot hear the engine in touring mode..and with magnetic ride control..ride integrity rivals a luxury car..totaly master launch control the car will hook..and get with the program..and humble corvettes that came before them..all in all..not bad for less than 500hp..but would never give up my challengers for one..now her ZO6 that she's waiting on..will be a much different story..
Damn you nailed it in the explanation of the C8 and already on my YouTube channel all the corvette guys are pissed😂

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Just wait for the new Z06 or ZR1 which is rumored to be 1000HP TT. The regular C8 is a very boring ride IMO. More of a Grandpa's touring car.
The ZO6 is in the works..;)

1971demon

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Orchard Park
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Demon 2016 Hellcat
Damn you nailed it in the explanation of the C8 and already on my YouTube channel all the corvette guys are pissed😂
Hey..it is what it is..probably the most refined corvette to date,,does a lot well..and comfortable..not a fan of the convert.,,,like the look of the exposed engine..Its not a RE/Demon.. or HC for that matter..but then again..it doesn't try to be..