Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Daily driver woes

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So, the struts are shot on the back of the daily work expedition el. bouncy bouncy bouncy, like a 62 cadillac. Going to have them and the springs, etc..., swapped out. This is at ~115K. I have another (more on that below) and have had two more and never had the struts go out before. I tow a fair amount so that may play a role. Also, the replacement front receiver hitch for the winch mount finally arrived. Will have that installed simultaneously.

Wife had surgery and is recovering. Cannot ride in a car, let alone drive. So the black Expedition EL that is hers was sitting in the carport. Earlier this week I took it (just to keep it moving) and halfway to the main office buzzer I've never heard before comes on, brake warning light comes on, and big red and black danger sign appears on the instrument cluster - "Low brake fluid." Get to the office, pull in pop the hood, and there is about a half inch of fluid in the two little cups at the bottom of the reservoir. Go in for about 1.5 hours, start up and head towards my mechanics shop. Pedal travel now near and at maximum extension. Preparing to drop into lower gears and crawl, but am able to arrive prior to total depletion. Never saw any leaks; nothing on the wheels, etc... Pop the hood at the shop, reservoir totally dry. Master cylinder leaking into the booster (something I've heard about but never seen before). Told the kids someone was trying to off me like you see with brake tampering on the Rockford Files. :) Anyway, got it repaired. My wife is still recovering from her surgery and worst case would have been her using the car on the first day she's cleared to return to work and having the kids in the car with her when the brakes failed. I'm sure she'd have done fine, but it would have been more iffy in morning oilfield traffic on the highway. Lots of people with perfectly serviceable vehicles killed out here regularly by dipshits in poorly maintained, over weight, over driven oil field semis.

Be careful ya'll

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Nice to get lucky once in awhile. (y)

KANNINA 2.0

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Durango SRT
Rockford Files?!!

Damn. We're old...

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
Was it the master cyl or the booster? I know certain year Fords have a booster recall.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Cylinder leaking into the booster body, so no fluid lost on ground or visible at all.

Jimmy N.

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Lumberton
State
NM
Country
United States
Vehicle
'18 Challenger
It's not leaking in, it's getting pulled into there.
Furds suck. Simple as that.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
I did not inspect the parts myself when they came off the car (too many other things going on); was told by my mechanics the master cylinder was bad. Found other similar instances with this particular model (maybe 10 or 20 or so; no recall) but a recall was issued for the previous model F-150 over an identical issue. Added daily mc fluid check to the walk around on other Expedition EL.