Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Cost of taking a Hellcat from 707hp to 800-850 RWHP?

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Charger SRT HellcatJailbreak , 2019 RedEye WB
Hey Everyone have been considering doing Mods & Tune on my Hellcat Charger... like to get some opinions of the safest route of mods to get to around 800-850WHP or as close to that Strictly using 93 Octane Fuel. Any ideas of mod list and ballpark cost would be appreciated. Let’s hear your ideas! I’d like to keep the cost under say 10k. So far my car is basically stock.. I just have a Bwoody CAI and bigger 10.5 wheels and 295 rear Michelin ps4s.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #2
Preferably want to keep the car a bit on the quieter side. Not into crazy sounding exhaust.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Nitrous.
Spend it once, it'll be installed in a day, and it won't make your car any louder. For the rare occasion that you need that much power, it'll be there.

Having never done it myself, I'll take a stab at what I think may get you there. If you want something more permanent on 93 octane, you're going to want -
blower spacers
2.85 upper w/pinned stock lower
cat delete (louder)
injectors
ice box or Killer Chiller

The reason I have a few things on there that help with cooling, is that you're limiting yourself on octane, so you're going to want to pick up power where you can.

Marc W

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Firefighter
8 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
St. George
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
You say 93 only. Do you have e85 available at all? The safety issue is pump gas. You’re looking to add another 200whp to a motor that already is proven to pull timing on occasion to be safe. Speedy has done a lot of data logging with these things and even lost a motor in the process. He definitely has something to say about what you should and shouldn’t try to do with pump gas. Even the lower percent ethanol is going to be better for safe hp than pump gas. The flex fuel route is going to be a better choice for a increase like you’re wanting. Ultimately it comes down to the tuner. The good ones will usually tune on the conservative side because they don’t want to get a rep for blowing up engines. When you start increasing the boost, you start taking away its ability to protect itself and do you really know what is coming out of that pump? The shop I work with won’t even do pump gas builds. It’s not that they can’t produce increased dyno numbers.... they know that with all the variables on the street and at the pump it’s a disaster waiting to happen followed by the blame game. I suggest that you call a couple of the known tuners (the ones that don’t need your business) and see what they say they can safely give you on pump gas. The cost of the build itself doesn’t need to be expensive. Fuel pumps and injectors would be the most costly part of it. A pulley and the unlocked pcm and tuning, the rest of it. You don’t need to change your exhaust for a moderate pump gas build.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Nitrous.
Spend it once, it'll be installed in a day, and it won't make your car any louder. For the rare occasion that you need that much power, it'll be there.

Having never done it myself, I'll take a stab at what I think may get you there. If you want something more permanent on 93 octane, you're going to want -
blower spacers
cat delete (louder)
injectors

The reason I have a few things on there that help with cooling, is that you're limiting yourself on octane, so you're going to want to pick up power where you can.
Not into nitrous definitely want more permanent. Like the second part you said.. I definitely want the thermal blanket and spacers.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
You say 93 only. Do you have e85 available at all? The safety issue is pump gas. You’re looking to add another 200whp to a motor that already is proven to pull timing on occasion to be safe. Speedy has done a lot of data logging with these things and even lost a motor in the process. He definitely has something to say about what you should and shouldn’t try to do with pump gas. Even the lower percent ethanol is going to be better for safe hp than pump gas. The flex fuel route is going to be a better choice for a increase like you’re wanting. Ultimately it comes down to the tuner. The good ones will usually tune on the conservative side because they don’t want to get a rep for blowing up engines. When you start increasing the boost, you start taking away its ability to protect itself and do you really know what is coming out of that pump? The shop I work with won’t even do pump gas builds. It’s not that they can’t produce increased dyno numbers.... they know that with all the variables on the street and at the pump it’s a disaster waiting to happen followed by the blame game. I suggest that you call a couple of the known tuners (the ones that don’t need your business) and see what they say they can safely give you on pump gas. The cost of the build itself doesn’t need to be expensive. Fuel pumps and injectors would be the most costly part of it. A pulley and the unlocked pcm and tuning, the rest of it. You don’t need to change your exhaust for a moderate pump gas build.
Thanks Marc I like what your saying makes a lot of sense. I’d go down to like 725-750WHP to be safe if that will do it. Yeah E85 really isn’t available around bucks county PA at the pumps to my knowledge or have seen. Definitely want to just stay on 93. I know exactly what your saying though about you don’t know what your getting At the pump this is very true.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Nitrous.

blower spacers
cat delete (louder)
injectors

I agree with your list except for cat delete, not necessary & will not lose power at that level, which is basically RE power & they have stock cats.

And @Matt someone with an SRT if you can do your own labor ?... it will save you a lot of $ obviously.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
I guess If I wanted to do a Jokerz CNC blower work it would just be a waste of $ if I didn’t upgrade the fuel from 93? Would you guys say that’s correct??

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I guess If I wanted to do a Jokerz CNC blower work it would just be a waste of $ if I didn’t upgrade the fuel from 93? Would you guys say that’s correct??
I don't think it's needed at 2.85 pulley power level

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
Now if I did these same mods on the Redeye I guess besides the fuel pumps because it has that.. could I stay on 93 octane.. and where would that put me with that car? Would I be able to run say 800WHP on the Redeye with a 93 tune?

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
I did the 2.85 & have cats & also wanted to stay on 93, Safe & at a good hp level.

Mean Cat

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Houston
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Now if I did these same mods on the Redeye I guess besides the fuel pumps because it has that.. could I stay on 93 octane.. and where would that put me with that car? Would I be able to run say 800WHP on the Redeye with a 93 tune?
ON the RE, I'm not sure what stock pulley size is on that ?... but if you go smaller, not sure if you could stay on 93 ?

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13
I did the 2.85 & have cats & also wanted to stay on 93, Safe & at a good hp level.
Did you do spacers and Blanket? Did you put dual fuel pumps in it?

trancein

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Plainfield
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 ScatPack WideBody (PCP)
@mod2fame on youtube is pushing 900hp and he tells you what has done to the car to get to that much

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
@Hpindy is probably pushing well over that on 93 octane and has run 9.6s. He is the guy to talk to about pump gas as he holds the record.

OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
OP
Matt someone with an SRT

Matt someone with an SRT

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Newtown
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #18
@mod2fame on youtube is pushing 900hp and he tells you what has done to the car to get to that much
Mod2fame is on E85 though.. here’s the first paragraph from his sight... Its been a long time coming, but we're finally here! New Motor, Ported Blower & Snout, Injectors / Fuel Rails, E-85, and so much more... I’m really looking to stick with 93 octane. Closest E85 station to me is 10 miles.. I just don’t want to get in one of those situations where getting fuel is an issue.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
I agree with your list except for cat delete, not necessary & will not lose power at that level, which is basically RE power & they have stock cats.
Cat deletes have been proven time and time again to increase performance. YMMV, but just because the RE and Demons have cats doesn't mean that it wouldn't make more power without them.

Any restriction he can remove from the exhaust will allow the motor to make more power on less boost - which is what you need when running 93oct.
Imagine ARH headers to tips and no cats... it'll free up some HP for sure.

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Stay at or below 800rwhp on 93. That's really all it can support safely. That goes for standard HC, or RE.

The recipe is pretty simple, 2.85 Hellraiser pulley, tune, injectors. Make sure to use a well known tuner. Mike@OSTDyno, Curt Dusterhoff, Josh from HHP all come to mind. I run a 2.72 Hellraiser pulley on 93 but it only makes 20 or 30 more RWHP than a 2.85 on 93. I just wanted more for good fuel at the track and it works great there, so purchase according to your intended use. Straight up fast street car stick with a 2.85.

I wouldn't fool with cats or anything like that. Makes the cars obnoxiously loud in my opinion and a pita to pass emissions if you have that where you live. Mine has cats and runs great. HPIndy is a special case as in Canada they get 94 octane and he's using a RE blower so more volume of air on less boost, so not apples to apples for your setup.

The Hellcat motors have shown over time to have a weak area in terms of rods. That's what failed on my original motor. RE engine is supposed to be 30% stronger in that regard, but who really knows. AJ claims no more than 850rwhp on a stock engine whether Hellcat or RE.

I've been on 93 for over a year and lots of pulls on the highway, but never race on 93. I put good Renegade RM109 race fuel in the car for that and bump the power to take advantage at the track.

I've recently started fooling with Flex Fuel and it's the business. If you have E85 10 miles from your house, that's the way to go for sure. Mike@OST setup my Flex Fuel tune and Curt Dusterhoff is known for them as well. It's awesome to pick up 70-100rwhp from a simple fuel change that's $1.53 a gallon around here.