Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Any opinions on Jasper Engines?

kgrencer

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgefield
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 WBRE F8 Green
Hey Guys, I am nearing the end of a restoration of my 1987 Dodge Power Ram and am considering options for freshening up the factory 318. At the top of this list is to simply swap the engine with a Jasper remain which comes with a 3 year 100K warranty. My concern is when researching online, there are some claims of shoddy workmanship in some cases. I've always known Jasper to be an excellent choice, but am interested if anyone here has any first hand experience with them.

Purerock105

1000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Reno
State
NV
Country
United States
Vehicle
16' Corvette Z06, 17' Shelby GT350, 17' Raptor
I know they made NASCAR spec engines for a few teams back in the day. I have never heard anything negative per'se, but don't know anybody personally that has done business with them.

REDTIDE

Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 SRT challenger hellcat
in 1995 bought a GM 4.3 that went in a boat never had any problems

Proud American

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Challenger
If they are willing to stand behind the engine with that kind of warranty I wouldn't be concerned.

OP
K

kgrencer

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgefield
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 WBRE F8 Green
Thread Starter #5
I agree on the warranty. If you google Jasper and find consumer reports, it puts a bit of trepidation in your step though. Sometimes google is our worst enemy

16GoManGoHC2

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Nanticoke
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger He’ll Cat
Jasper has been around like forever, I’ve used a few and know guys who used them over the years, their work is good and they stand behind their work and will still be around years down the road for warranty and questions. You can’t go wrong on their prices either. In the end though sometimes the “You get what you paid for” does ring true though.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 PCP Redeye Challenger Widebody
Agree....Jasper has been around forever, and I've heard nothing negative about them. Restoring a Power Ram sounds like an awesome project!

The old LA 318's are pretty bullet proof engines in my experience. I had one in my old '72 Charger....318 with a 2 barrel carb. I had the car for 16 years and it had well over 100k. - and it was still running strong when I sold the car. "Strong" being a relative term....but they are super dependable.

OP
K

kgrencer

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgefield
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 WBRE F8 Green
Thread Starter #8
Yeah, you dont see many of the square body Dodge trucks getting love. If it was a Chevy K10 it would be desired. I've probably gone way too far for what the truck is ever going to be worth, but it is going to be better than new. The resto shop as about 3 months into block sanding it laser straight. It is a short box as well so it just has an awesome look to it.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yeah, you dont see many of the square body Dodge trucks getting love. If it was a Chevy K10 it would be desired. I've probably gone way too far for what the truck is ever going to be worth, but it is going to be better than new. The resto shop as about 3 months into block sanding it laser straight. It is a short box as well so it just has an awesome look to it.
Honestly, I see the values doing nothing but going up on the older square body trucks in general across the board. You don't restore it in order to sell it anyway right? Keep it and show it off!!

OP
K

kgrencer

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgefield
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 WBRE F8 Green
Thread Starter #10
Right on!!
resto 5.jpg resto 3.jpg

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
A friend of mine owns a repair business and he sells plenty of Jasper products. People seem to like the warranty and are willing to pay a little more for a vehicle they plan to keep.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Are you doing all the bodywork? Just a thought...rebuild the 318 yourself. I've done two in the past - my '72 318 and a '77 360 out of a Cordoba. Pretty straight forward....just find a good machine shop to bore/hone and hot tank the block and install new cam bearings. That way, you can blame yourself if it knocks!! :geek:

These old LA engines are dependable....I like where your going with your truck....open slate!!

EDIT: I used a cheap reference manual..."How To Rebuild Your Small Block Mopar" years ago...it was a great step-by-step reference on everything. But I'd throw a 440 in it.....just sayin...

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Sorry...delete...

2fast4u

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Edwardsburg
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger Hellcat Widebody-DUMBO
Honestly, I would try to find a 360 and go that route...lots more bottom end torque, and most parts bolt right on.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I know they advertise all over the place. Not heard anything bad (which doesn't mean much unless you have a town full of folks that put signs on their car like "Terry's Drive In Sucks"). My friend who just sold his automotive business offered them to customers, and he was/is no slouch as a mechanic.

Confuzed1

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Go Pack Go
State
WI
Country
United States
Vehicle
Honestly, I would try to find a 360 and go that route...lots more bottom end torque, and most parts bolt right on.
True! - that's why I mentioned me rebuilding a 360 out of an old Cordoba. They were low HP smog engines in stock form, but with a good aftermarket heads, cam and exhaust it would be a good choice for a truck and all the accessories would bolt right up just like the 318. -And that's about all I would reuse from the 318....

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
I take it the accessories are in good shape?

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
I had some work done in a machine shop that cleaned, bored and honed motors for Jasper. Let’s just say they were done hard and fast. I personally wouldn’t want one.

OP
K

kgrencer

HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Ridgefield
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 WBRE F8 Green
Thread Starter #19
I decided to pass on jasper. I will have a light performance build done on my stock core at my local shop after the body work is complete. I don't want to go too crazy on HP upgrades as that would lead to axle and transmission upgrades. Pandora's box.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I decided to pass on jasper. I will have a light performance build done on my stock core at my local shop after the body work is complete. I don't want to go too crazy on HP upgrades as that would lead to axle and transmission upgrades. Pandora's box.
You'd be surprised at how much the axles in that truck can take...as long as they're in good condition to begin with. You can easily do the basics...cam, headers, etc without any problem at all.