Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

Alternatives to conventional chains

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
Okay folks, I've had my fair share of traditional tire chains back when the dinosaurs ruled the earth. I've been looking at some of the alternatives and wondered if you have more information or experience that I could learn from. SnoBootz, SnowSocks, etc..., including the wire held traction adders (that I've heard horror stories about when they come apart). This is mainly directed at hill climbing dirt/rock in snow.

04Ram2500Hemi

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Western
State
MT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Ram TRX
If you really need chains, especially for snow and rocks, don’t even screw with anything but good quality tire chains.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
If you're talking about a truck, get CHAINS!

If you're talking about a car, still get chains. I went through several versions of tire chains on my car back when I was skiing.

All of the cable based, weird stuff didn't work well, or at all. Chains allowed me to go up the Powder Mountain road with ease.

Deano

1000 Posts Club
Law Enforcement
Member ID
Reactions
City
Roy
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger WBHC
In the late 70s I had a set of plastic tire chains, the crossbars had metal studs in them. worked great. They resembled metal chains. Just did a brief internet search, lots of varieties but not what I had.
No idea if they are still made.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
Next time your looking for tires look at the Goodyear wrangler duratraks they come pre drilled for studs. Just buy the studs and screw them in. As for chains I have never used them I got duratraks. You can get custom big studs that are like mini spikes

Last edited:
OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #6
Roger that. Thanks all for the contributions so far. We are pretty much on the same page.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
454C1CBF-2D1B-4569-ADD0-D5883BB4B493.jpeg

DaveB

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Penhold
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
I used to snowmobile every weekend in the mountains...studded winters are the way to go for sure. (edit: NOT the studs shown above, LOL....normal DOT approved studs)

At one point many years ago I had a company truck that was 2wd. I used to take it sledding (tow trailer with two sleds on it) and I used real chains on the rear....I got around on the back roads almost as well as the 4x4 guys.

Markp

5000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fuck Trudeau
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
Vehicle
2019 Redeye
I used to snowmobile every weekend in the mountains...studded winters are the way to go for sure. (edit: NOT the studs shown above, LOL....normal DOT approved studs)

At one point many years ago I had a company truck that was 2wd. I used to take it sledding (tow trailer with two sleds on it) and I used real chains on the rear....I got around on the back roads almost as well as the 4x4 guys.
Yup studs are the way to go. The reason I showed him the big spike studs is I think he is using them for off road hill climbing

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
Not off road, per se. There is a road there, but steep and getting worn on the edges. Buying 7+ acres in the rockies at 8100' or so (was shooting for 8800, but you take what you can get). Going to have to have the entire thing regraded and throw in a few culverts for drainage control. But, the rest of the roads on the place are basically just 70 year old bulldozer tracks and if we're going up those (which I probably will because I'm stupid like that) it could be pretty nasty. Think that might qualify as off road. Went up it in the summer with just 4WD and it was okay, get a few inches of refreeze on it and it will be fun and games.

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Get a beat up four wheeler for use until the improvements make it more accessible. Doubles as the fun mobile to explore also. Congrats anywhere out there is good. I am confused and looking at about four different states generally myself.

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
lol, funny you should say that. I was checking out a 1973 Ford Bronco for such duties. lol, if the world ends I can probably machine just about any part I'd need for it.

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
Stock up on firewood, beans, bread, peanut butter, water and beer and don’t go down the hill when the driveway is that bad! Also, those dirt/gravel roads are going to have big ruts in them all the time. You’ll need a very good dependable 4x4 to get up and down in dry weather as well!

OP
Magnified

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
This is near to where I spent the last 50 years on and off, so I think we'll be okay (familiar with basic conditions even with the weather changing). I'm afraid of one of two things: I'll hate it, because its not all I remember from my younger years (though I'm working on myself to prevent that) or I will love it and not want to leave to continue running the businesses and working to pay for it. Going to be snow there this weekend I believe. Going out tomorrow or next day.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
I was a more fore dite once and have not changed since.