Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

426 Stroker with Thitek Heads. Couple Questions?

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
(2) Trackhawks, RS3 Swapped Golf R, Turbo Mustang.
Guys I need a little advice here. Just put a rod thru my 6.2 block on my Trackhawk. I have a Magnuson 2650. Im currently building a 426 Stroker with Diamond pistons, Boostline Rods from Wiseco and a Callies crank with Thitek heads and lightweight valves with a Custom Comp cam.

Right now the car made 815 whp on a Mustang dyno on 93 octane/meth which is about 900 whp on a dynojet and 900 whp on E85. I have a FORE 3x. So I have two questions maybe u guys can help out with.

1.) Im reaching the point where im about the hit the ceiling on power with 93 octane/meth. I wanted to upgrade to the Whipple 3.0 ported from Dustin. Or I was gonna send the Magnuson to Jokers to have it ported. Much cheaper. $1250 vs. $10k for the whipple ported. The problem im having is I have spoken with two ppl who have ported their Maggi 2650 and have actually lost power. Granted, these were stock motors with stock heads. Is the benifit from the port only realized when u have a larger CI motor and better flowing heads?

Im at the point where I just cant make much more power on 93 octane so im wondering if the ported Whipple is just a waste of money on 93 octane. On E or C16 its a no brainer. There is no doubt the Whipple makes more power and is more efficient tho. I know this for a fact cause we sawpped the Maggi on my buddys Trackhawk and he went over 2 tenths faster at 9.50 in the quarter vs 9.75 with the Maggi. The Maggi is not ported tho.

2.) To utilize the power the Maggi or the Whipple can make I really need to jump up to 1700's to run E. Currently I have 1300's. Are u guys able to tune and drive around on 93 octane with 1700 injectors cause I was told the 1700's dont do well on 93 octane as far as drivability.

Anyone here driving on 1700's with 93 octane? Would be nice to run the 1700's then I can run E85 otherwise I will be stick with C16. Im moving to Kingsport TN and they have E85 at the dam gas pump there! But considering I get 9.5 MPG now I wont be using E very often. Again, this is my DD. I have other cars to drive but I love driving this and drive it every day!

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Who has been tuning it? I don't see too many using 93/meth on one of these blowers. I used it on a vortech which is a totally different setup

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #3
Tune Time out of NJ. They have been using meth for decades. Were likely gonna have to go with M1 now vs. the Boost Juice cause im gonna need the extra octane on 93. I was a Grand National guy most of my life and methanol is needed to make any power with that crummy 6 cyclinder motor but when I tried having my Turbo Mustang tuned to Meth I couldnt find anyone anywhere to do it lol.

Were not using it as fuel really just adding a little more timing and cooling IAT's. But will need the M1 to push the power on 93 tho.

Last edited:

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Tune Time out of NJ. They have been using meth for decades. Were likely gonna have to go with M1 now vs. the Boost Juice cause im gonna need the extra octane on 93. I was a Grand National guy most of my life and methanol is needed to make any power with that crummy 6 cyclinder motor but when I tried having my Turbo Mustang tuned to Meth I couldnt find anyone anywhere to do it lol.

Were not using it as fuel really just adding a little more timing and cooling IAT's. But will need the M1 to push the power on 93 tho.
Do you know Jamie Wolcott? She has one of the fastest non intercooled GN's

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #5
Been about 8 years now so ive been out of the GN game for a while. Guys go freaking fast tho with that stock block. Mid to low 8's now.

Do you know Jamie Wolcott? She has one of the fastest non intercooled GN's

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
Been about 8 years now so ive been out of the GN game for a while. Guys go freaking fast tho with that stock block. Mid to low 8's now.
She has been doing the GN stuff since the 90's. Normally goes to the nationals in BG , 1 was just curious. I have known her since the 90's

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
The ported blower may have lost boost (restriction) but should have flowed more air. There could be other factors going on why they lost power

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
Sounds like you’re going to have access to E on a regular basis. I don’t know if pushing it on 93 with meth is really going to be an option still. My brother is on his 4th motor because he uses 93/meth on his direct injected turbo Camaro. He can’t get the fuel volume he needs to run e85 without spending a fortune on the fuel system. Having said that, I just hate the combo as a bandaid, but I love meth for the cooling and octane to prevent knock in a worst case scenario.
The fact that you’re even considering the Whipple makes me think you’re crazy like most of us, and going turbo isn’t too far out of the question. I bring that up because turbos solve all of our problems :) Then you can run low boost and 93 and then crank it up when you have E.
I don’t have any experience with 1700s and 93, but I imagine you can find a tuner that does.
Get used to being at the gas pump filling it with corn and don’t look back!

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
Bro im retired so I drive a lot these days lol. I cant sit home and watch the idiot tube so I drive my Trackhawk around. Fucking love this truck. Its so wicked from a dig! Just something about being able to put decent power down without having to pedal it every time. This thing just hooks like velco with them 555R2's. I got em on all 4 wheels with weld beadlocks on all 4 as well.

I spoke with Brett at Jokerz today and he states if I port the Maggi I will lose power on pump gas but gain on E85 when spinning it harder. Plus I run the risk of breaking the jackshaft which of course is an inferier design compared to the Whipple 3.0.

Im gonna see if the 1700's can be tuned on 93 octane otherwise I may be forced to go with a C16 tune but that kinda blows cause then its a race tune only with race gas. I want to just be able to fill up with E85 at the pums when I feel like it. Although C16 would surely get way better gas mileage lol.

I dont know if the whipple is worth it on 93 octane. I just doubt if the Whipple can make that much more HP than the Maggi at 22-23 lbs of boost. I mean the Maggi with the 426 and Thitek heads will put 900 whp down on a Mustang dyno. How much more power can the Whipple make before I run out of fuel? Im guess its not much. U just cant keep making more and more hp on 93 octane/Meth. I think im pretty much hitting the wall here with the Maggi and 93 but IDN maybe im wrong and have no fucking clue what im talking about?

But yea the 93/meth is always a gamble I agree. Although were not tuning to it as fuel. Its more to lower IAT's. But everything I have melted has been on 93 octane and never on E. Ive melted 5 motors now. 2 being Hayabusa's with a Turbo kit making 450 whp on 93 octane lol. 1 Turbo Mustang, 1 Turbo Buick and 1 Trackhawk lol.

Im already at the gas pumps like every other day at 9.5 mpg lol. I just cant go E all the time and get 5 mpg lol. Cause there is no Earthly way I can drive this thing slow. Zero chance of that.

Sounds like you’re going to have access to E on a regular basis. I don’t know if pushing it on 93 with meth is really going to be an option still. My brother is on his 4th motor because he uses 93/meth on his direct injected turbo Camaro. He can’t get the fuel volume he needs to run e85 without spending a fortune on the fuel system. Having said that, I just hate the combo as a bandaid, but I love meth for the cooling and octane to prevent knock in a worst case scenario.
The fact that you’re even considering the Whipple makes me think you’re crazy like most of us, and going turbo isn’t too far out of the question. I bring that up because turbos solve all of our problems :) Then you can run low boost and 93 and then crank it up when you have E.
I don’t have any experience with 1700s and 93, but I imagine you can find a tuner that does.
Get used to being at the gas pump filling it with corn and don’t look back!

SilverBillet

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
The Villages
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Jeep GC 5.7 TrailHawk
It just takes money…[wrenchin]

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Well they say boats are money pits. Well,, I have done the trinity of em all. Bikes, boats, high performance cars. Dump, dump, dump. You can never do too much and a little is too late. Reading this info and having been involved with turbos,, that wood be my interest. Seems like the car manufactories are doing the same.

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #12
If someone sold a Turbo kit I would probably consider it but as of now its all custom as far as I know.

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #13

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Custom kits all over the net and youz tube. They are being installed by many car companies. I had a factory install back in the 90s.

Jack_Toepfer

3000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Buffalo
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Charger Triple Black
If someone sold a Turbo kit I would probably consider it but as of now its all custom as far as I know.
@FFBOS - got any pointers for him?

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Yea,,, be careful. Damn thing are wicked fast.

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #17
Im aware of all the custom kits but custom kits are just that custum which come with custom problems lol. Im just kidding what I mean is there are no proven kits that have been sold that others have used without issue.

Im considering a single Turbo right now since I already have a brand new Turbo I was gonna use for my Mustang. I can then sell my Titanium exhaust and sell my Magnuson cause I would exit thru the front quarter panel. I spoke with Tim Barth and he states the 1700's can surely be tuned for 93 octane so im not sure what im gonna do.

Even on 1700's im tapped out at about 1300 whp. I need 2000 or 2200's which means 93 pump will surely not be an option. So in reality im not gonna make any more HP with a Turbo then I am the Whipple although there would be no belt change. Maybe a little more hp cause im sure the Turbo will hit 1300 hp but not sure on the Whipple. I did opt for the race port on the Whipple which was another $2k from dustin so 1300 hp isnt impossible with the whipple with a built motor and heads.

I have a single 85mm on my little Coyote block and it spools it instantly! New Turbo's today just spool so wicked fast the term "Lag" really doesnt exist any longer unless u go way too big. Even an 88mm small frame in a DBB will spool up instantly on a 426ci motor.

The Turbo will give me the option to make more power than the blower tho with the proper injector but pushing 1300+ hp will require a trans and converter which is like another $10k lol smh.

Custom kits all over the net and youz tube. They are being installed by many car companies. I had a factory install back in the 90s.

vortecd

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
Donating Member
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Middleville
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Charger Hellcat
speed costs money. I had a low 9 second mustang nearly 15 years ago. Now I just want to get back into 9's. I really have no desire (and money) to put my hellcat in the 8's

fubar569

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
9 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bradford
State
PA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
450whp on a turbo busa on 93?

That takes some biggin balls. We ran 2 seasons at 460hp non-intercooled on E85 and I thought THAT was poking the devil. Lol.

OP
GNBRETT

GNBRETT

500 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
Kingsport
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
622 on C16 lol. It was a GT40r with a badass head. Liguid intercooler from RCC allowed me to run the 450 on pump gas. I hear its like 500 whp now on pump gas with the new Garrett Turbos.

450whp on a turbo busa on 93?

That takes some biggin balls. We ran 2 seasons at 460hp non-intercooled on E85 and I thought THAT was poking the devil. Lol.