Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2020 Hood Pins

Green717

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Coconut Creek
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 M6 Challenger Hellcat
After I paid the cashier for my Ram truck repair I walked through the dealership showroom. They had a Scat Pack on the floor (the only SRT for sale on the premises) that had hood pins. Having just ordered Mopar hood pins for my ‘19 Hellcat I was curious and took a closer look, hoping to get a clue when it comes time for me to install my own.
1) These are 2020 factory installed. New option I assume? Not an option when I ordered my Hellcat last year as far as I know.
2) It appears the cables are looped back under the hood lip rather than through the grill (as I was planning for my own install) I wondered why?
3) If indeed part of the assembly line, how do they do it? Jig on the hood corner and a big-ass circle cutter tool hanging from the ceiling that worker reaches up and grabs?

Just curious. I like the retro look, no other reason. I see on this forum that opinions vary both ways. 😉

Mopar offers black like this Scat and chrome. I chose black for my satin hood.

Attachments

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
1) This option has come and gone without reason that has been obvious, in past years sometimes it was around for a millisecond and then gone....
2) If I was doing it, I'd skip the cable altogether, just IMO
3) I think this goes to the Upfitter after the assembly line for these kinds of options.

:)

Smitty

1000 Posts Club
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Canton
State
MI
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger HC WB
Agreed...Most likely goes to an upfitter for the hood pins. No way I can see them doing this on the assembly line without jacking it up.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
After I paid the cashier for my Ram truck repair I walked through the dealership showroom. They had a Scat Pack on the floor (the only SRT for sale on the premises) that had hood pins. Having just ordered Mopar hood pins for my ‘19 Hellcat I was curious and took a closer look, hoping to get a clue when it comes time for me to install my own.
1) These are 2020 factory installed. New option I assume? Not an option when I ordered my Hellcat last year as far as I know.
2) It appears the cables are looped back under the hood lip rather than through the grill (as I was planning for my own install) I wondered why?
3) If indeed part of the assembly line, how do they do it? Jig on the hood corner and a big-ass circle cutter tool hanging from the ceiling that worker reaches up and grabs?

Just curious. I like the retro look, no other reason. I see on this forum that opinions vary both ways. 😉

Mopar offers black like this Scat and chrome. I chose black for my satin hood.
I've installed the factory roof clearance lights on two of my previous Ram trucks. The kit came with a paper template that told you where to position it and had position markings as well. It also had all the layout for the main wire holes and the screw holes. I would hope that the hood pin kit comes with something very similar.

When I did those clearance lights, I just used that blue painters tape and taped the template down tight. I used an automatic center punch to mark all the holes. I used a very small drill bit to drill all the pilot holes first.

I have a drill index where the bits are in 64ths. If the little plates on top of the hood have screws to hold them on like the old school hood pins did, I would drop 1/64 in size from the hole size they tell you to drill just to make sure the screws can get a good bite

Good luck!

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
Here's a video.....

Slowpoke387

2000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Somewhere
State
CT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye WB
I like the look but wouldnt want a cable just sliding all over the paint.

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger WB M6 Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I love the look of the pins! Just watching the video made my OCD alarm go off drilling into the hood. Wish it had been a factory option for sure.

Beast707

1000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Carol Stream
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Challenger WB M6 Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I like the look but wouldnt want a cable just sliding all over the paint.
Could do Xpel on the front that would protect it I'm guessing no?

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
I love the look of the pins! Just watching the video made my OCD alarm go off drilling into the hood. Wish it had been a factory option for sure.
Yeah, I was really surprised to see how they were doing it and that there wasn't a template to layout the holes. That was some old school install right there.

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat/2019 Challenger Redeye
I put the Mopar kit on my 2019 Redeye and I am pleased.

D8A797C3-AF27-4282-A6E9-06F5DCE6D062.jpeg 6E995B73-2719-4246-8D95-D977E36095C8.jpeg

OP
Green717

Green717

Founding Member
Donating Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Coconut Creek
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 M6 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #11
Thanks for the info and tips. That video gives me confidence that I can do it myself but the thought of that first cut in my flawless hood still gives me the willies. 😱

My first car in high school was a ‘71 442 which had push/turn latching hood locks which seemed cool. No cables. (internet photo, not mine)

Now that I think about it, that dual scoop hood looks very similar to the one on my car now. 😀

6E03C1CD-A0DA-49A9-B323-350AE3AE0E12.jpeg

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Could do Xpel on the front that would protect it I'm guessing no?
My Redeye has xpel and ceramic coating so....

Last edited:

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thanks for the info and tips. That video gives me confidence that I can do it myself but the thought of that first cut in my flawless hood still gives me the willies. 😱

My first car in high school was a ‘71 442 which had push/turn latching hood locks which seemed cool. No cables. (internet photo, not mine)

Now that I think about it, that dual scoop hood looks very similar to the one on my car now. 😀

View attachment 17978
Yeah that first cut was tough but after that, a piece of cake.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

View attachment 17978
Oh man, that's a beautiful 442. I'd love to have that.

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150

View attachment 17978
Yeah.....I know that I'd be triple measuring where that pin was gonna come through after I had bolted that plate/pin in place before I ever ran that hole saw through.

Good luck!

Paladin06

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Army Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Clarksville
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Yeah.....I know that I'd be triple measuring where that pin was gonna come through after I had bolted that plate/pin in place before I ever ran that hole saw through.

Good luck!
There’s really no measuring required. 😉

Stormtrooper1320

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Bran
State
Non-US
Country
Romania
Vehicle
Panzerkampfwagen 150
There’s really no measuring required. 😉
Hey look......I tell that same thing to women....but it doesn't mean I actually believe my own propaganda. :p

Member ID
Reactions
City
Henderson
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 Redeye Charger

Mine were ordered, late order and late build on a 2019. My car was tagged no dealer prep other than road readiness so my security pins and cables were in a plastic bag in the trunk. I worry about the cables scratching the paint so I didn’t install them.

SunnyS

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Siesta Key
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Hellcat
Weird that the option is only available on the wide body Hellcat and not the narrow body.

Primetime Hellcat 17

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 challenger Hellcat

Mine were ordered, late order and late build on a 2019. My car was tagged no dealer prep other than road readiness so my security pins and cables were in a plastic bag in the trunk. I worry about the cables scratching the paint so I didn’t install them.
You can put a piece of clear bra film on we’re the wire would touch. That’s what I did and it works out great., 98AC916C-0422-433F-B8FD-A2CDC50ED6CB.jpeg if you look really close you can see it.