Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

1971 Hemi Cuda Convertible heads to auction

72 440 Barracuda

500 Posts Club
Founding Member
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
Graham
State
WA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2015 Challenger Hellcat
My brother had one of those Shelby's in B5, it had the same 2.2L turbo engine as the Daytona - a fast little sucker !
Yes - One was my roommate and he had the blue one (It probably was B5, but that was many years ago...). I remember it being faster than my 340 Cuda, but the 340 was a stock '72 - the detuned version with smaller cam and valves in the heads and more restrictive exhaust manifolds. I was very impressed by those turbo four cylinders!!

Speedy!

Infomercial Producer
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
9 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
Murfreesboro
State
TN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Hellcat Go Man Go
Maybe I'm missing something and these cars were before my time so feel free to clue me in but....

They built 12 of these. That tells me they weren't selling? And now 50 years later they're worth $1M?? I don't get it LOL.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Maybe I'm missing something and these cars were before my time so feel free to clue me in but....

They built 12 of these. That tells me they weren't selling? And now 50 years later they're worth $1M?? I don't get it LOL.
In their time, they were expensive cars + insurance was sky high for anyone under 25 driving them + back then there was a huge palate of colors (including the ever popular 'hi-impact' colors) to select from, not the few choices we get today.

There were a lot of guys that grew up during that era who couldn't afford one of these cars, but dreamed of someday owing one.
Many now have a fair amount of disposable $$ and are willing to spend it to live the dearm. I'd love to own something like this car (or even better a sublime Superbird with the Hemi & auto), but just don't have the $1M to do it. So, while I can't complain about my financials, I'm not closer to owning one now as I was when I made $1.65/hr back in the day - sigh !