Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

16 Cat No Longer Charging Battery after a couple of seemingly unrelated changes.

Magnified

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
West Texas
State
TX
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Charger HC (once upon a time)
So it turned out to be a bad Alternator after all.

I’m not sure if it was a coincidence that it was at the exact same time as I installed the Zautomotiv double bypass incorrectly. Due to confusing (for me ) color coding in my 16 Cat and the Instructions it was initially installed incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At least we know what happened. Thanks for sharing the solution.

Hickster

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Seminole
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Hellcat Challenger
Not to be confused with owner operator con fusion and or diss o lution.

OP
socalfun64

socalfun64

Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
TEHACHAPI
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #23
Changing out the Alternator by yourself in a garage with no lift is really freaking hard. It would be much easier with two people. It’s very heavy to hold and pull out with one hand while wiggling it around to get it out.

I ended up removing 4 pulleys, Radiator hoses and oil cooler lines. It made it possible for my big hands that way. I pulled it up through the top.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Changing out the Alternator by yourself in a garage with no lift is really freaking hard. It would be much easier with two people. It’s very heavy to hold and pull out with one hand while wiggling it around to get it out.

I ended up removing 4 pulleys, Radiator hoses and oil cooler lines. It made it possible for my big hands that way. I pulled it up through the top.

Raceramps?

OP
socalfun64

socalfun64

Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
TEHACHAPI
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #25
I have them but used jack stands so I could have the front passenger tire off while working underneath. The difficulty really came from not having done it before on this Car and being by myself. I tried to minimize taking parts off to get to all the bolts and be able to pull it out instead of just removing everything first.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I have them but used jack stands so I could have the front passenger tire off while working underneath. The difficulty really came from not having done it before on this Car and being by myself. I tried to minimize taking parts off to get to all the bolts and be able to pull it out instead of just removing everything first.

I haven't done a swap myself, but having checked it for the early Service Bulletin regarding loose bolt(s) on it, I accessed it from underneath via Raceramps.

I did recall thinking to myself that I'm going to hate it if I ever have to R&R it.

All's well that ends well?

; )

OP
socalfun64

socalfun64

Founding Member
U.S. Navy Veteran
Member ID
Reactions
City
TEHACHAPI
State
CA
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
Thread Starter #27
I haven't done a swap myself, but having checked it for the early Service Bulletin regarding loose bolt(s) on it, I accessed it from underneath via Raceramps.

I did recall thinking to myself that I'm going to hate it if I ever have to R&R it.

All's well that ends well?

; )
Yes, very much. I’m a glutton for punishment as I went back in the next week and did a full AAD Drag Pack install. My shoulders have almost stopped hurting so now it’s Axle time, lol.