Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

How to prep a Hellcat for a road course! Article….

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Dodge Challenger Redeye WB
Deep in this article it is revealed how HEAT can destroy your day (supercharger) when you can get aggressive enough on a Road Course with one of our cars. Shut off my Redeye’s SC cooler once, and one failed on me! I have said many times, the Redeye can go for ten seconds, but something just is not right after 15-30 minutes of really driving it. Not as a rookie at one of the demo schools with short pussy tracks either.

”In addition to addressing braking, shifting and handling, Can had to find a way to get the supercharger on the Hellcat engine to endure the rigors of road racing. For street use or a quarter-mile blast, which goes by in 11.2 seconds, according to Dodge, the intercooled supercharger works fine. For road racing, sustained high rpm for upward of 20 to 35 minutes at a time, it gets hot. It got so hot he had a couple of failures before installing a water-methanol injection system from Snow Performance.”

Great article IMO! @TrackDay they have done some of your stuff after talking with Wesley. They even figured out why the rear boots get busted up when they lowered it!!! It is all here.

https://nasaspeed.news/cool-rides/hard-charger-road-racing-a-hellcat/

Prange

2000 Posts Club
Member ID
Reactions
City
no longer in Chicago
State
IL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Charger Scat Pack
Great article. Thanks. The GoPro on the underside was brilliant.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Deep in this article it is revealed how HEAT can destroy your day (supercharger) when you can get aggressive enough on a Road Course with one of our cars. Shut off my Redeye’s SC cooler once, and one failed on me! I have said many times, the Redeye can go for ten seconds, but something just is not right after 15-30 minutes of really driving it. Not as a rookie at one of the demo schools with short pussy tracks either.

”In addition to addressing braking, shifting and handling, Can had to find a way to get the supercharger on the Hellcat engine to endure the rigors of road racing. For street use or a quarter-mile blast, which goes by in 11.2 seconds, according to Dodge, the intercooled supercharger works fine. For road racing, sustained high rpm for upward of 20 to 35 minutes at a time, it gets hot. It got so hot he had a couple of failures before installing a water-methanol injection system from Snow Performance.”

Great article IMO! @TrackDay they have done some of your stuff after talking with Wesley. They even figured out why the rear boots get busted up when they lowered it!!! It is all here.

Haven't read yet, but if there's something about the rear boots, it must be golden information!

Finface

Member ID
Reactions
City
Morning View
State
KY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
DGatzby,

From the article you quoted;

A little later in the article it says;

"Can wanted to safeguard things bit further because if the water methanol system failed for any reason, the next failure is the supercharger. He has since added an IC Chiller system to the car, which uses air conditioning refrigerant to cool the intake air charge, and reduce coolant temperatures."

In the first quote, for his 2016 Hellcat, what is "the intercooled supercharger"? Was it on all the time, or was this like the feature on the 2019 and later Red Eye's where in Track Mode the cabin AC is disenabled and that cooling air is diverted to the supercharger?

Bottom line question...do you think the stock Red Eye engine in Track Mode with cooling air going to the supercharger is as vulnerable to supercharger failure due to road track heat as non-Red Eye Hellcats? During a half hour session with an hour's cooling between sessions? And maybe let's say outside air temperature is 90F or below.

I know I'm asking you to quantify something, but really I'm more interested in your general feeling about the Red Eyes, with their stronger internal parts and their different superchargers - and the Track Mode cooling. I think you have more Red Eye road course experience than anyone else here on the forum.

https://nasaspeed.news/cool-rides/hard-charger-road-racing-a-hellcat/[/QUOTE]

DavidKFla

Poster Club Hall of Fame
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
East Coast
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2018 Charger Hellcat
These cars will heat soak in a New York minute and eat itself alive, especially with the stock tune.

BULL

Oh NO! Not that guy!
Staff Team
Founding Member
U.S. Marine Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM
Wiki Contributor
Member ID
Reactions
City
Weld County
State
CO
Country
United States
Vehicle
MY16 M6 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
I see he's running the DP rotors.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #7
Great article. Thanks. The GoPro on the underside was brilliant.
Some of us who suffered those same pains tried that also and none of us picked up that those were melting. None of us figured out anything better either:LOL:

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #8
Haven't read yet, but if there's something about the rear boots, it must be golden information!
Yes, heat from the exhaust! He wrapped the exhaust near the boots and done. Damn it. I sold the car!

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #9
I see he's running the DP rotors.
You need to fix that shit.;)

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #10
DGatzby,

"Can wanted to safeguard things bit further because if the water methanol system failed for any reason, the next failure is the supercharger. He has since added an IC Chiller system to the car, which uses air conditioning refrigerant to cool the intake air charge, and reduce coolant temperatures."

In the first quote, for his 2016 Hellcat, what is "the intercooled supercharger"? Was it on all the time, or was this like the feature on the 2019 and later Red Eye's where in Track Mode the cabin AC is disenabled and that cooling air is diverted to the supercharger?

Bottom line question...do you think the stock Red Eye engine in Track Mode with cooling air going to the supercharger is as vulnerable to supercharger failure due to road track heat as non-Red Eye Hellcats? During a half hour session with an hour's cooling between sessions? And maybe let's say outside air temperature is 90F or below.

I know I'm asking you to quantify something, but really I'm more interested in your general feeling about the Red Eyes, with their stronger internal parts and their different superchargers - and the Track Mode cooling. I think you have more Red Eye road course experience than anyone else here on the forum.

[/QUOTE]
The supercharger chiller was new in the RE I ‘19.

IMO obviously the Redeye in OEM shape don’t work on various levels and that includes the converters, supercharger and its damn green belt also. Had to change my new one after 10k miles and a few weekends of fun.

The balance of the Redeye engine seems to be great and is holding up fine IMO. With my 93+ octane tune colder thermostat and removable cat converters it works great now on the track and on the street.

Thanks for the compliment but a couple of others have been using their Redeyes a lot on tracks too and they are holding up fine also. Sans the converters.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
Onur started from stock in our Facebook group and has broken more parts than anyone I've ever seen with these cars. He just kept on fixing it. 😉
I haven't read the article but I know he went with the Demon rear axles and then still had some issues. However, he's very low in the rear and his huge rear wing was lowering it more at speed and his exhaust was not installed right IIRC so it was closer than a stock system would be. Regardless, all I did to mine was install the Demon axles and set the rear ride height as it sits with MP springs and I can't break them.
He's added a ridiculous amount of power to his car, IMO way more than we need on a road course. He's fought so many heat and supercharger speed issues as a result it's way beyond what I'd ever do.
So far I have stock power and have never felt more power was my next priority, but I've had it long enough now it's eating away at me. Small pulley change and E85 has been my plan for awhile now - close to Redeye power and super cool for temps.
My next rotors will be the 21 MY since I can space out my Viper calipers to match.
New set of 325 Toyos on all 4s and I'll see what I can do.

TrackDay

Founding Member
Member ID
Reactions
City
Great White North
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Dodge Challenger
DGatzby,

[/QUOTE]
Onur's cooler is the one Sumit Goyal sells I believe. He's also been working to install a different AC compressor to allow it to still stay on at WOT. The stock one shuts down at WOT and a certain RPM threshold IIRC to prevent over speed of the compressor. It's a huge amount of work and money to do what he's done.
I look at Kevin Wesley. He had a Redeye with a little more boost and E90 Ignite fuel. Added long tube headers and a high flow exhaust and HP job done. Heck, for a long time he even had a stock suspension except for the coilovers.

SIXGUN

U.S. Army Veteran
10 Second Best E/T
Member ID
Reactions
City
Madeira Beach
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2019 Challenger Redeye Widebody
Only issue I continue to have is the P0420 and/or P0430 codes. The dealer changed the exhaust from the header outlet to the rear bumper, and all the sensors twice. Going back this week. Weird thing is it doesn't throw the code on track, but usually Sunday afternoon after track is done and driving home, or later. I broke the first green belt at 16000 miles, on track. About the same miles on this one, so I plan to change it before the next Sebring weekend 14-15 OCT 23.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #14
Only issue I continue to have is the P0420 and/or P0430 codes. The dealer changed the exhaust from the header outlet to the rear bumper, and all the sensors twice. Going back this week. Weird thing is it doesn't throw the code on track, but usually Sunday afternoon after track is done and driving home, or later. I broke the first green belt at 16000 miles, on track. About the same miles on this one, so I plan to change it before the next Sebring weekend 14-15 OCT 23.
@Jon-MooredPerformanceLLC plus…..
IMG_6764.jpeg
Makes that damn problem go away. Also mine now wears a black belt and I am not going back to green shit. Glad you went back to MO! I’ll be back, just working and traveling a bit too much right now.

2ndgen

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orem
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
The gates green belts are a common failure point? I thought those were supposedly considered an upgrade.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #16
Upgrade? We all may have a different opinion on that. After about 10k miles and a few road courses and a lot of RPM cycles and 6250-6500 shifts?

IMG_7290.jpeg

I have seen my 2015 Hellcat a buddy owns after twice as many miles. The original black belt looks the same as new now! I changed to black and it runs and sounds just fine. I’ll keep a new green spare in the tool box and hope to never need it.

2ndgen

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orem
State
UT
Country
United States
Vehicle
2017 Challenger Hellcat
Interesting. Good to know--so the Bando belts hold up better than the Gates green belts. Wonder how the Gates "RPM" belts fare.

Member ID
Reactions
City
Orlando
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Redeye Charger
Upgrade? We all may have a different opinion on that. After about 10k miles and a few road courses and a lot of RPM cycles and 6250-6500 shifts?

View attachment 116452

I have seen my 2015 Hellcat a buddy owns after twice as many miles. The original black belt looks the same as new now! I changed to black and it runs and sounds just fine. I’ll keep a new green spare in the tool box and hope to never need it.
My Redeye green belt is looking rough after a few track days. Which belt do you recommend for stock Redeye pulleys?

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #19
IDK, but I don’t like the green one. That 2015 I had has run many laps and its’ belt looks fineat 20k miles. That green one has barely 10k miles. I say a half dozen weekends. Not enough to look like that. Different supercharger. 2015 Hellcat and a ‘19 RE.

OP
DGatzby

DGatzby

6000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Donating Member
HFCOTM & HFCOTY
Member ID
Reactions
City
SW Twin Cities
State
MN
Country
United States
Vehicle
Thread Starter #20
My Redeye green belt is looking rough after a few track days. Which belt do you recommend for stock Redeye pulleys?
Oh and I do have stock pulleys. Tuned. Occasionally it just shifts a bit high If I hold my foot in it.